- Among all the thirty National Institutes of Technology in India, the Centre for VLSI and Nanotechnology of VNIT is recognised as a Resource Center, Special Manpower Development Programme for Chips to System Design (SMDP-C2SD). The Center is coordinating SMDP activities with NIT Jamshedpur, MNIT Jaipur, IIIT Jabalpur, NIT Raipur.
- The department is strongly involved in the development of the startups and the product development. Recently the graduated PhD Scholar Vandana Jain has developed “MiCHAR: Low-Cost Portable Fluid Testing System for Health Care” and demonstrated it at RASHTRAPATI BHAVAN for INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP -2018 summit.
- The Center PhD graduated first International Student of Institute named Iskinder Anteayele from Ethiopia.
- Conducted GIAN course on MEMS for BioMechanics and BioRobotics in collaboration with Shuji Tanaka, Department of Bioengineering and Robotics, Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan. Tanaka Laboratory developed by Prof. Shuji Tanaka is world recognized Laboratory in the area of MEMS.
- Conducted TWO-WEEK ISTE STTP ON CMOS, MIXED SIGNAL AND RADIO FREQUENCY VLSI DESIGN, National Mission on Education through ICT (MHRD, Govt. of , India).
- The department organized 5th International Symposium on Semiconductor Materials and Devices (ISSMD-2018) during 30th to 2nd Dec. 2018. This series of biennial symposium provided a global forum for interaction between scientists and technologists working in the area of semiconductor materials and devices.
- The department has developed QuDSim-3D, a TCAD simulator to simulate electrical characteristics of nanoscale devices. QuDSim-3D is capable to simulate devices with quantum dots (3D confinement), nanowires (2D confinement) and quantum wells (1D confinement). This software will be available as an open source web based tool to the students all over the world.