Please Read the following VNIT Nagpur IT Usage Policy CAREFULLY.
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Nagpur
Undertaking with respect to VNIT Nagpur IT Usage Policy Whom this Document Concerns All Users of IT infrastructure (Computers and Network) at VNIT Nagpur.
Reason for Policy
This policy outlines the responsible use of the Information Technology Infrastructure at VNIT Nagpur.
Statement of Policy
All users of VNIT, Nagpur will be subject to the following Acceptable Use Policy
- [Content] I shall be responsible for all use of this network. In case I own a computer and decide to connect it to VNIT Nagpur network, I will be responsible for all the content on it, especially that which I make available to other users. (This provision will also apply to any computer or device for which I am responsible, and is included in the meaning of “my computer”.) In case I do not own a computer but am provided some IT resources by VNIT Nagpur, I will be held responsible for the content stored in the designated workspace allotted to me (examples: file storage area, web pages, stored/archived emails, on Computer Centre or Department machines).
- [Network] I will be held responsible for all the network traffic generated by “my computer”. I understand that network capacity is a limited, shared resource. I agree that physically tampering with network connections/equipments, sending disruptive signals, or making EXCESSIVE USE of VNIT Nagpur’s network resources is strictly prohibited. Repeated offenses of this type could result in permanent disconnection of network services. I shall not share the network connection beyond my own use and will not act as a forwarder/ masquerader for anyone else.
- [Academic Use] I understand that the IT infrastructure at VNIT Nagpur is for academic use and I shall not use it for any commercial purpose or to host data services for other people or groups. Also, I shall not host or broadcast information that might harm others or may be otherwise considered objectionable or illegal as per Indian law.
- [Identity] I shall not attempt to deceive others about my identity in electronic communications or network traffic. I will also not use VNIT Nagpur IT resources to threaten, intimidate, or harass others.
- [Privacy] I will not intrude on privacy of anyone. In particular I will not try to access computers (hacking), accounts, files, or information belonging to others without their knowledge and explicit consent.
- [Monitoring] I understand that the IT resources provided to me are subject to monitoring, with cause, as determined through consultation with the VNIT Nagpur administration, when applicable. The monitoring may include aggregate bandwidth usage to effectively manage limited IT resources as well as monitoring traffic content in response to a legal or law enforcement request to do so. I authorize VNIT NAGPUR administration to perform network vulnerability and port scans on my systems, as needed, for protecting the overall integrity and efficiency of VNIT NAGPUR network.
- [Viruses] I shall maintain “my computer” on this network with current virus detection software and current updates of my operating system, and I shall attempt to keep my computer free from viruses, worms, Trojans, and other similar programs.
- [File Sharing] I shall not use the IT infrastructure to engage in any form of illegal file sharing (examples: copyrighted material, obscene material). In particular, I have noted the following:
Electronic resources such as e-journals, e-books, databases, etc. made available by the Library, VNIT NAGPUR are for academic use. These resources can be searched, browsed, and material may be downloaded and printed as single copies of articles as is done in the case of printed library material. Downloading or printing of a complete book or an entire issue or a volume of one or more journals (called systematic downloading) is strictly prohibited. Use of robots, spiders or intelligent agents to access, search and/or systematically download from the e-resources is also prohibited. Any violation of this policy will result in penal action as per the rules and regulations of the Institute. I am aware that Systematic downloading will result in the publisher blocking the entire community of users at VNIT NAGPUR from accessing these resources.
- [Security] I understand that I will not take any steps that endanger the security of the VNIT NAGPUR network. Specifically, I will not attempt to bypass firewalls, proxies, etc. and access rules in place. This includes not setting up servers of any kind (examples: web, mail, proxy) that are visible to the world outside the VNIT NAGPUR campus. In critical situations, VNIT NAGPUR authorities reserve the right to disconnect any device or disable any account if it believed that either is involved in compromising the information security of VNIT NAGPUR.
- [Penalties] I understand that any use of IT infrastructure at VNIT NAGPUR that constitutes a violation of VNIT NAGPUR Regulations could result in administrative or disciplinary procedures.